Relations with our pets have always been marked by unconditional love for them.
We deal with it at 360 °: we choose the best food products for them, we guarantee them an excellent hygienic sanitary condition, we bring them to grooming and to the vet, trying to satisfy their needs in the best way, guaranteeing them love and well-being. All this is magnificent and commendable, but when we talk about wellness, we often think of them as little humans and try to satisfy their needs on the basis of this assumption.
Thinking in this way we do not fully enjoy the beauty of the different , and rather than intrigue and open the magical doors of the animal world with the typical perception of children, living it as a moment of enrichment and discovery for both, we find ourselves most of the time, to asking ourselves why our friend destroys the carpets of the house, rummages in the dustbin, scratches the furniture or pees after a change of sheets, all this is incomprehensible and disrespectful (for us humans !!!)
Maybe at first glance, it is, but the perspective changes if we put ourselves from their point of view, just ask yourself some questions: Who am I? How would they live in nature? Who do they come from?
These questions give us several foods for thought, and that is why we will give some tips on how to improve home management and consequently the quality of life of our Micio / a.
We always start from the assumption of what their behavior in nature would be:
- Cats are solitary predators and spend most of their day scanning the environment for hunting opportunities. They need to protect themselves from perceived dangers, which include people or an unfamiliar environment.
- They are territorial animals and feel threatened if their territory is invaded by foreign subjects.
- They have extremely developed hearing and smell, so they don’t like loud and new noises, to which we don’t even give weight.
- They emit specific vocalizations and assume non-physiological postures when they are in a state of stress.
Based on these statements they can be useful at home:
- A den that will represent their secure base, an exclusive place, where they can withdraw at any time and for any reason, preferably raised and not particularly large.
- Each cat must have exclusive resources, to which they can access when it deems appropriate, these resources include: food stations (preferably at the top), litter area, and scratching posts (of fundamental importance) in this way we will help them minimize stress and competition levels and we improve the quality of their lives, bringing them closer to their needs in nature.
- The game is critical to our cats, remember their predatory instinct, so let’s recall it stuffed with crazy balls of food, chopsticks with mice ready to run away or various interactive games, so we will increase their level of well-being and ourselves we will credit to their eyes, mythologizing our relationship. Manipulations are always recommended (for the well-being of both), cats love rubbing against us, they release satisfying pheromones, they love to “make pasta” on our legs while we watch TV, and often want to be petted. Let us not deprive ourselves of these moments and learn to live them appropriately and consciously. All of this will improve life for both of them and will be a step towards happiness.
- For particularly territorial and nervous cats that can help the natural pheromones that are found on the market, they act on the olfactory and neuroendocrine system of the cat helping it to minimize stress in the presence of critical factors (other animals, scented unwanted detergents, change of furniture arrangement).
- Finally, during socialization, give the cat its time, he will decide when and how to approach a human or non-human guest. Never force your hand.
Dealing properly with the problem of environmental resources is essential for the well-being of your cat, and having these simple tips in mind will help us a lot in critical moments.
So??? What are you waiting for??? The magical doors of the feline world are also opening up for you.